1.06.2010

california. first stop: san francisco





We came home from a lovely Christmas in Seattle on Sunday the 27th, then literally left for California the next morning. Our first stop: In-N-Out Burger in Redding (it's always the first stop!). I swear it gets better each time (maybe it's because I never eat red meat).

We arrived in SF on Monday afternoon to a breathtakingly beautiful sunset, so excited to spend a few days with Andy and Brook. Jeff, Andy, and I grabbed cocktails at a cute little spot, then the four of us had a fabulous Italian dinner with Susie and Terry (Jeff's mom and stepdad) who were also in town. Tuesday we explored neighborhoods, ate Ike's sandwiches on the pier, grabbed my favorite honey-lavender ice cream from Buy-Rite, and ate another wonderful dinner with Andy and Brook. Our downtown hotel, Le Meridien, was so modern and had the most comfy bed in the entire world. We did not want to leave! I had an appointment with the German consolate on Tuesday to get my German passport, but unfortunately it was a somewhat traumatic experience as I was turned away for not having my parents' marriage license (something that was never on the required list of documents to bring). Bla. I was upset, as now I will have to come all the way back. The pigheaded German lady behind the counter was R-U-D-E. Lady, if you represent the Germans, then I'd rather just keep my proud US citizenship by itself, thank you very much. Nevertheless, we had a wonderful time in San Francisco! :) It is very easy to picture ourselves enjoying life here.

No comments: