6.25.2010

gas station man

A few days ago, we were headed back from a relaxing 24 hours in Eugene to celebrate Jeff's mom's birthday as well as Father's Day. We stopped to get gas in Junction City, by Jeff's dad's house (no offense, but it's out way in the boon-docks). After pulling in and turning off the engine, I found myself getting irritable over the fact that the gas station attendant - mid 50s, gray hair, tall guy - was standing there yacking away with the driver in the car in front of us. I grumbled at Jeff, "gosh, look at the nerve of this guy" or something like that. He had finished filling up their tank, and was apparently giving them his life story along with it. We waited for a couple of minutes, and then he came over and - to my astonishment - in a friendly, country-bumpkin-type manner, asked us how he could help. He began filling up the tank, and then...took out a squeegee and washed our entire front window....flawlessly. Well, you older folks may find it hilarious that I was shocked by this, because I know that's how they used to do it in the good-ole-days. But in my generation, people do not wash your windshield for you anymore. After he was done, he wished us a good afternoon and left with a huge smile.

I wanted to blog about this incident, because I found myself being especially negative all week prior to this incident, complaining about little things here and there. Then on Sunday, after my strong irritation at the man who was going "too slow" for my schedule, I found myself somewhat slapped in the face at the way he then turned around and was such a gentle, kind, and helpful man who was only trying to serve us (and no doubt improve the day of the person in front of us by chatting happily to them as he finished their gas). It's a reminder to me, and to us all, that these small details I choose to get annoyed over, should not be details I get annoyed over! Also, that I need to get rid of any negative thinking. The world teaches us to think in a negative way - I wish I had recognized this man for who he was, rather than thinking he must be a rude guy who just wanted to waste my time. I don't think he realized how much he improved my attitude through his simple actions.

I wish there were more people in the world like this. I want to strive to be one. Okay that's it - deep thought for the day from the mouth of Kelly. ha. :)

4 comments:

Emily Griffin said...

Such lovely sentiments, Kelly :) This was a nice breath of fresh air to read!

Maggie said...

what a great story kelly. what a cool guy-he is in the right profession because i bet he inspires people daily in many small ways!

Sandy said...

I was touched by your thoughtful observations of this event, Kelly. Thanks for sharing it so well. You've inspired me to be less negative too.

earlygrey said...

Awesome post, Kelly, very thought-provoking and well-written. I'd like to be more like him too.