4.15.2011

mississippi avenue food carts

Despite the rain, on Sunday morning we decided to take my parents to Mississippi Avenue to explore the eclectic shops a bit, drink some quality coffee, and eat lunch at the food carts. Portland is famous for its food carts - you can find clusters of them in many different areas around town, but Mississippi Ave. is home to some of the best ones. One of our favorite spots, Prost, is next door, and they happily allow customers to bring food from the carts into their adorable, light-strung patio area, as long as you are also drinking the delicious German beer from Prost.

What does a pregnant gal do when faced with multiple food carts that all look mind-blowingly amazing?! Stand there, eyes glazed, slowly shifting incoherently from cart to cart, and drool. I got several funny looks from the cart owners...like, "can I help you miss???" Everything looked so darn yummy, I just couldn't make up my mind!!

My mom and I finally settled on delicious savory waffles from Flavor Spot. I ordered a cornmeal savory waffle with a scramble on top, made with eggs, a tiny bit of bacon, green onions, a little cheese, and some spinach. My dad and Jeff visited another food cart for some chicken-fried-steak sandwiches topped with a fried egg and some cheese, all slammed between a brioche bun. Wowsers - gut bomb! But it was de-lish.

So next time you're looking for something to do...stroll down Mississippi Ave!! Visit Fresh Pot for some Stumptown coffee, browse the vast array of adorable shops, pop into the Rebuilding Center just to see what it's all about, and grab a snack at the food carts. Oh, and stop to pee three times along the way (that's what I did...thanks baby meakins :).

The eating area at the food carts - it's covered, but bring your jackets!

My savory cornmeal waffle with scramble on top

My cutie pie parents

1 comment:

Sandy said...

We had so much fun with you and Jeff!!!!