5.05.2011

drowning islands


Hi friends! Just wanted to share with you a cause that my amazing sister-in-law, Brook, has been very passionate about and working hard on as of late. She recently was at the UN climate negotiations in Thailand, a conference that is very competitive to get accepted into. Check out the e-mail from her below, visit her website, and feel free to subscribe to her blog! :)

Drowning Islands
I wanted to share a new project that I'm really excited about, and that's been in the works for quite some time.

I just started a blog called www.drowningislands.com- a portal for stories from those impacted by climate change across the globe, as well as interesting insights into the relocation problem and just the intersection of climate change and human rights in general. As you most likely know, I'm an attorney with a solo practice that provides traditional and non-traditional advocacy services for my clients. But you might not know that I also have a climate justice/environmental advocacy branch of my practice that is growing, and it's the area of my practice that really excites me! I went to the UN climate negotiations in Bangkok last month, will be attending the negotiations in Germany in June, and have started putting together an advocacy training course that I'm taking (pro bono) across the globe later in the year to help train non-profit conservationists in the art of advocacy. This portion (the pro bono advocacy trainings) has generated a lot of interest because there are so many beautiful groups of committed and caring people in the world that feel underprepared to advocate for their causes. I am seeking financial contributions for the expenses (air travel, mostly) for these trainings, so if this is something you're interested in helping with, please let me know.

If there is ever something I can do to assist you in your work or interest, please let me know! It is so great to know that there are others out there who are fighting the good fight too!

If you want to do me a favor, tell your facebook friends about the blog- even if you're not an environmentalist or a "humanitarian", you probably have lots of friends who are and I'd love to connect with them. And please subscribe to the blog yourself - even if only to see my pictures from my travels!

Very sincerely,
Brook
www.drowningislands.com

No comments: