7.17.2011

screen door



YUM YUM YUM. Contrasting from the post below, if you're looking for a comfort food, huge-portions type of cozy spot, visit Screen Door! You may have to wait for an hour or two, but it's well worth the wait. Many Portland folks visit for the amazing breakfast, but we went for dinner. Love the open kitchen feel, the simple interior, and the food that sticks to your stomach. But most of all ... I found my new favorite dessert that maybe even tops Irving St. Kitchen's butterscotch pudding.

I would highly recommend the Screen Door Plate, which allows you to choose three selections and also comes with a side of delicious cornbread. I chose the local greens with strawberry salad, crispy fried catfish, and the macaroni and cheese. Yes, I know, a bit heavy :) Oh boy, but don't you just have to have one of these meals every now and then? Jeff went for the traditional southern specialty, crispy fried buttermilk-battered chicken with gravy, mashed potatoes, and collard greens dripping in bacon fa--AHEM--juices. I was dying to try the lowcountry creamy grits, but will just have to save that one for next time!

And...oh, the dessert!!! Try the Ban-offee Pie! Our friends Katie and David introduced us to this one, and I swore I wasn't going to eat any I was so full. But when it came around, there was no turning back. Shortbread and pecan crust layered with caramel and bananas topped with whipped cream. See ya later, folks....I'm taking off to go get some right now.

YOU MUST eat here sooner rather than later!! Just a fun Portland dining experience!

No comments: