8.08.2011

the past two weeks (and ella's first two!)

The past two weeks have been two of the most amazing and awesome times of my life. Full of new challenges and definitely frustrations…but also full of new memories and lots of fun. Jeff had the past 19 days off which was such a treat for the three of us to be together on "vacation" (for the most part it really did feel like one). The first week home from the hospital we were lucky enough to have my mom here for an entire week…she took such amazing care of us, and everything around the house, so that we could focus on our little babe.


I expected to feel exhausted…and overwhelmed…don't get me wrong, there were those moments, especially after the delivery…and the first couple nights home from the hospital. But for the most part, I felt surprisingly rested. I guess everyone's experiences are different - and maybe it's because Ella is a good sleeper. I have found myself even more smitten with my husband than I was before, and just totally in awe of the fact that he is mine - he is an incredible daddy, a helper and a true servant like you wouldn't believe, and I have just so enjoyed our time together these past few weeks. I keep thinking to myself how blessed I am to have these two people in my life.


The first few days of Ella's life were spent in the hospital, as you read about in the post below. The first days back at home were low-key, with a few outings here and there - errands, lunch out, etc. Recovery was uncomfortable and annoying, but I have to admit I was surprised at how quickly I felt better - around day six I was feeling a lot like my normal self again. Jeff, my mom, and I were able to get out and do lots these past couple weeks, which is always what I pictured because I've never been one to do well sitting at home. One afternoon Jeff and I met his parents out at Bergstrom winery for wine tasting and a picnic lunch. Last week him and I spent a couple days at Cannon Beach, with Ella and Chloe too of course - went for walks, had beer at our favorite pub, went to a nice dinner, and took long walks along the beach. I spent an afternoon with my mom and Maggie getting mani/pedis, and Jeff got away golfing a couple of times (and to watch LA Galaxy vs. the Timbers). We BBQ'ed here one night with our moms and Jeff's two brothers Andy and Phil. We had nightly happy hour on the back deck together…when it was warm enough…silly weather. My mom and Jeff had a little outing to get coffee and pick out a new Mac laptop for my mom - quite the bonding experience they both said, haha. Went for walks to Peet's coffee. Did some yard work and built steps on our deck. Did some shopping. Ate a yummy dinner at one of our favs, Piazza Italia, downtown. Visited the Beaverton farmers market one Saturday morning. Went to a couple of our first pediatrician appointments (Ella - 28% for weight, 92% for height…string bean? :) Got Ella's newborn pictures taken. And…last but not least, Jeff made it to his best friend Gregg's wedding in Eugene, where he was the best man. Whew! Sounds like a whirlwind…and it kind of was…but there was lots of relaxing and snuggling with our baby girl going on too.


Just wanted to share some of the moments from the past couple weeks. I hope I can remember these times forever!


Hours after Ella was born - and the cute little hat my sister made for her :)

No mistaking this baby is a girly girl!

Her many expressions are priceless

Our favorite spot - out on the back deck

Smiling in her sleep

Focusing SO hard on that book!

Getting in lots of snuggle time with Daddy before he goes back to work

These two love to nap!

Another great face!

Afternoon wine tasting at Bergstrom

Lookin' so teeny tiny in that car seat

Snuggle time

The sibs starting to get acquainted

I love these sweet faces

Chloe is maybe starting to realize that Ella's not going anywhere...

2 comments:

Gabe, Amber, Jada and Micah Carter said...

She looks so, so tiny in the family picture of you guys wine tasting. Like a little doll. :-)

I'm so glad to hear that you're getting some rest & recovering well. Love you so much!

Sandy said...

I smile whenever I see these wonderful photos of your new little one. She is incredibly precious, what a miracle! She looks like Jeff SO MUCH!!! Which also makes me smile! I love you guys so much!