11.22.2010

last stop: rothenburg

This little romantic town looks like it is straight out of Beauty & the Beast. We had heard it was magical, and it WAS. Rothenburg is a medieval city which started flourishing around 1150; its signature feature is a giant stone wall surrounding the entire city, which guests can walk inside (and we did!). I loved the cobblestone streets, colorful houses, and cute little Christmas shops. Definitely a romantic city!! We were able to coordinate and meet Jeff's sister Katie and her husband Jason here, who live a couple of hours away in Bitburg.

Entering through the outer wall of Rothenburg - this was used to protect the city from attackers

The main town square - many of these buildings were built in the 1200s.

A shot of the city wall - we walked all the way around.

View from the tower

Spectacular, right?

Some of the city was bombed in WWII, but the main part stayed intact.

Most adorable little streets

Katie, Jason, and Jeff about to climb up into the wall

I picture a fairytale happening here...

Highlight of Rothenburg: Nightwatchman's Tour!
This was a reenactment (OBVIOUSLY), but the nightwatchman used to walk around at night and guard the town from danger, as well as watch for fires which could burn down the entire city. This guy was hilarious, and gave a very interesting history of Rothenburg!


Our pub crawl through Rothenburg :)

This bar, called "Hell", is a legend in Rothenburg, so we stopped in for a beer. It was built in 918!

The four of us spent the night at Hotel Spitzweg, just about the most charming place I have ever stayed in my life. Jeff's and my hotel room was from 1556, and was definitely decorated in traditional German style. All of the hotels here are just like this - there are no Marriotts, Hiltons, or chain hotels - which is what we adored about Rothenburg. Our hotel owner, Herr Hocher, was warm and welcoming, and reminded me of Santa Claus. We were treated just like family!

Cutest little room ever - and spotlessly clean!

Rothenburg was a great ending to a fantastic trip - and seeing Katie and Jason in the country they are living in was really special. Our last day we said goodbyes, packed up the car and drove to Frankfurt where we stayed for one night before flying home on Halloween.

Another successful adventure crossed off the list for the Meakins! :)

2 comments:

Dani said...

Hey there! I was just surfing around in the old blogosphere and stumbled on your page, and I thought I'd just drop a note to tell you how much I enjoyed these pictures! Wow...amazing amazing. I should go. :)

Sandy said...

I loved your pictures, Kelly and Jeff! What a charming place! I think I might want to go back--we were there 29 years ago, I can hardly remember it now!