7.03.2011

farmers market




We have always loved farmers markets in the summertime! Recently we expanded our horizons to the Beaverton Farmers Market, because so many of our friends go there often and love it. I was so surprised to see how HUGE it was - a much bigger market than the other ones around Portland in my opinion (I also have liked Lake Oswego's in the past). I think most of us don't realize how many amazing LOCAL food companies exist - ones that offer such quality foods. Did you know that for each day a vegetable or fruit is traveling/not eaten after it has been harvested/picked, the vitamins slowly diminish? Not to mention, buying local foods = using fewer resources.

This particular morning Jeff and I meandered the aisles, bought some basil and mint plants for the garden; sampled fresh breads, homemade hummus, an assortment of fresh soups, and a host of other samples from vendors. Ate lunch at a wood-fired pizza cart - best pizza I've had in a long time - and then grabbed a juicy, fresh strawberry shortcake piled high with whipped cream for dessert. I think Jeff and I just about started a spoon war as we frantically struggled to scoop up every last bite before the other could get it. DEEE-lish.

It was a warm and gorgeous day - my idea of a perfect Saturday morning with my hubby! Shop local when you can - you'll enjoy the experience, and I think the food tastes better too. :)

1 comment:

Sandy said...

I completely agree!!